Lunker Striped Bass Invade the Coast, and Prepping for the Moose Hunt
The July, 2022 issue of The Maine Sportsman covers a wide range of summer activities:
- To celebrate the launch of our new Saltwater Anglers Patch Club, we focus on saltwater fishing, with “Southern Maine Fishing Charters,” by Sam Wheeler; “A Summer of Fishing” by Capt. Ron Dupuis, and Bob Humphrey’s guide to taking family and friends out for saltwater fishing. (Note: The correct slot limit for keeper stripers is between 28 and 35 inches – fish shorter than 28 inches or longer than 35 inches must be released.);
- Bill Graves provides step-by-step instructions for the lucky 2,800 moose permit lottery winners, in a special section titled “Preparations Pay Off for Moose Hunters”;
- Guide Michael Browning teaches owners of young hunting dogs how to gradually introduce their puppies to the sound of firearms, in “Don’t Rush the Gun”; and
- Staci Warren shares her experience hunting bear over attractants, in “Tips for Successful Bear Baiting.”
Want more? How about increasing the versatility of your all-terrain vehicle with Steve Carpenteri’s “Customize your ATV,” or the combined knowledge and skill of two of Maine’s best trout fishermen in “Small Stream Fishing,” a collaborative offering from Tom Seymour and Lou Zambello?
Among our regular columnists:
- Luke Giampetruzzi (“Young Maine Guide”) ventures to Florida and finds the fishing much to his liking;
- Randy Randall (“Tidewater Tales”) tells of a true adventure involving Grant Connors, DIF&W’s former Human/Wildlife Conflict Manager, in “A Bat in the Girls’ Dorm,” and
- Christi Holmes (“Maine Sportswoman”) shares her own experiences hiking with her Brittany, Argos, in “How to go Backpacking with your Dog.”
All this, plus much more, including letters to the editor, cartoons, and the best jokes west of East Grand Lake and south of North Anson Gorge.
Will Lund, Editor
The Maine Sportsman magazine